Monday, October 10, 2011

The best dressed bump

I was wandering a bookstore this weekend, and found Bump It Up: Transform Your Pregnancy into the Ultimate Style Statement by Amy Tara Koch





It started out as something to read on the couch while my in-laws are in town, but it sort of hooked me.  With my first pregnancy, I didn't give pregnancy fashion much thought.  I was so thrilled to be pregnant I wanted to wear maternity clothes (hormones...)  After my daughter was born, I looked back an my pregnancy with the clarity that only time can bring.  It was pretty awful.  I gained over 40 pounds (OMG- did I just admit that?!) and lived in denim maternity capris and bulky tops.  That's not quite true... my mom took me shopping early in my pregnancy and got me a couple of really cute things to wear to work and some events I had.  But, when left to my own devices, I was a disaster!
This time, I am determined to rock the hot mama look.  (Frankly, the first step has been not rocking so many hot fudge sundaes.)  But, not as easy as I thought... this book had a couple of tips that I had already discovered, and a few I hadn't thought of.  Here are a few of my favs.

The Bella Band by Ingrid & Isabel
One of the thing I liked best about this book is that it encourages you to wear your own clothes, so this is the only product I''ll call out.  The Bella Band is a super stretchy tube of fabric thats fits over the waistband of your pants or skirts.  Thanks to an assortment of these darlings I'm almost halfway through my pregnancy and I am still wearing my own pants (so much cuter than anything with an elastic waist!) They come in a rainbow of colors so you can coordinate them to your outfits (they look like a layering tank) although in many cases they don't show at all.

Long "wife-beater" style tanks
My daughter was born in late summer, so I sadly went through a very hot pregnancy without these.  This time I can't get enough- I'm wearing them by themselves on warm Indian Summer days and under cardigans and blazers when it's cooler.  Most everyone has them, but if not, they are pretty cheap ($6 at Target right now) and come in great colors.  They show off the cute 2nd trimester bump, and if they are long enough stretch out my short round torso.

Accessorize:
Seems like a no brainer, but they call it "baby-brain" for a reason.  It frankly never occurred to me that a strategic accessory choice could distract from my size.  I at a point, I tried to shrink more than shine.  This time I am going the opposite route.  I put away my dainty jewelry, and moved my statement pieces to the front.  I got a fedora too.  Also belts- this has always confused me in pregnancy... belt above the bump?  below?  Turns out, both are right- but the book helped me figure out when.

Wear Heels:
This is one to do as long as possible.  36 weeks into growing a human, it's not always possible to wear heels.  Also, balance is a huge issue in pregnancy.  But a decent wedge, or kitten heel can go far to make a girl look a) smaller and b) pulled together. 

So far, it must be working.  Yesterday my husband said to me- "you are so much cuter this pregnancy" sweet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment